Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Not getting lost in Iowa....yep, really

Anyone that knows me well (or has taken a ride in the car with me), knows I have no sense of direction (and I mean NONE AT ALL).  The compass did not come with this brain or body when I was born and at age 44 years, the compass has not managed to find me.


Photo credit goes to: 
http://www.insightzonecoach.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Compass.jpg
  
I was married for 17.5 years and we were together all the time so Ex-H drove us everywhere meaning I didn't need to worry about finding my way.  We worked at the same place so we rode together, we ate out together, we shopped together and we did everything together.  On the rare occasion when I managed a moment alone I could easily find the kids daycare, the local drug store or grocery store as I knew one direct route (so not kidding) to each of them.  In December 2005, when I finally became a single woman again (12/30/2005 at 12:30 pm....not that I'm counting or anything) I found that I really didn't know my way around town.

Well it has been 6.5 years since my divorce and I can still get lost in my own town, even though I've lived here since July of 1993.  Some might call this ridiculous (like I have any control over it....), some might say I'm just dumb (about some things , yes....), others have said it is because I'm blond (hmmm....maybe) and I'm sure others think I'm just mentally unstable (definitely.......).

But I am proud to say that during the month of July 2012, I took my youngest and a friend to Adventureland in Des Moines Iowa and managed not to get lost.  Now this is a real feat for me.  I also managed to find my way to Archiver's.  Hello people....this is one awesome scrapbook/crafty type store that I've only been to once before.   Not only did I find the store, I spend 2 full hours looking in every aisle and at every item on every shelf drooling over all the cool stuff.  I usually have teenage boys with me so I don't get to linger in stores like this....they can only stand about 10 mins before they become annoyed and want to leave.


And then I found The Cheesecake Factory, which I had never eaten at before and comes highly recommended.


I ordered the lunch portion of a southwest chicken salad, yum....I ate about 1/3 of the salad and was so full I didn't have room for cheesecake (damn it already!). 


The kids were still happy at Adventureland so I then found a movie theater and saw the movie "Brave".  Awesome illustrations, graphics and music!  The story is about a strong-willed girl who wanted to be her own person.  I loved it!!!


By the time the movie was over the boys were hot and tired and ready to head home.  So I scooped them up and ran in to Subway to feed them, then off to home.  I was so pleased that I managed a trip out of town and back without getting lost.

This was a happy moment in 2012!  Count your blessings people, it is the small stuff that helps cushion us from all the challenges out there.


Hugs,  Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment, say hello.....I love to hear from you!!